OpportunityAnalyzer: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy – Opportunity and Market Analysis to 2019
Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is a rare genetic disorder affecting approximately 1 in 3,500 newborn boys and is characterized by progressive muscle degeneration, loss of ambulation, and death by the late 20s. There are no marketed pharmacological therapies that are indicated for DMD. The current standard of care treatment involves generic corticosteroids which are used to marginally prolong muscle function but do not offer preventative treatment. The anticipated launch of PTC Therapeutics’ Translarna in 2015 in the US and 5EU, followed by the 6MM launch of Exon-skipping therapies- BioMarin/Prosensa’s drisapersen and Sarepta Therapeutics’ eteplirsen, in 2015 and 2016, respectively, are set to change the treatment landscape and drive growth in the DMD market. GlobalData estimates that the uptake of Translarna and exon-skipping therapies will be very high due to the lack of effective disease-modifying therapies for DMD. GlobalData estimates that the DMD market was valued at $8.2m across the 6MM in 2014, and it is expected to sharply increase to approximately $990.0m in 2019, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 160.5%.
Key Questions Answered
– How will the DMD market landscape change within the 2014-2019 forecast periods in the 6MM?
– What are the most promising late-stage pipeline drugs and how will their launch shape the future treatment landscape in the DMD market?
– How do the clinical and commercial attributes of late-stage pipeline drugs compare to one another and against existing treatment options?
– Which patient population(s) are most likely to be targeted by late-stage pipeline drugs?
– What are the significant unmet needs and remaining opportunities in the DMD market?
– Due to strong demand from patient community and clinicians, high uptake is expected of pipeline drugs for DMD that are anticipated to launch during the 2014-2019 forecast period.
– Mutation-specific therapies are expected to emerge as the major R&D breakthrough and future market drivers for DMD.
– With ongoing research, large pharmaceutical companies, small biotechs, and research institutions have discovered a multitude of therapeutic strategies to treat DMD. There are 19 ongoing clinical trials in DMD with 11 molecules in Phase II and eight molecules in Phase I.
– The lack of consensus over clinical trial design and endpoints for the development of DMD therapies continues to be a barrier to clinical development of new drugs.
– The clinical stage pipeline is mainly focussed on ambulatory DMD patients with specific mutations, leaving a large unaddressed population and vast opportunity for developers to deliver new therapies, and for continued growth in the DMD market beyond 2019.
– Overview of DMD, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms and current treatment options
– Annualized DMD therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapies and forecasts for five years to 2019.
– Key topics covered include strategic product assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, R&D strategies, clinical trial design and implications for the DMD therapeutics market.
– Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development, including nonsense mutation readthrough inducer, exon-skipping therapies, synthetic electron transporter, PDE5 inhibitor.
– Analysis of the current and future market competition in the US and five major EU DMD therapeutics market. Clinical and commercial benchmarking of promising pipeline products versus standard of care treatments and competitive assessment of all therapies. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges.
Reasons to buy
– Identify the unmet needs and remaining opportunities in the DMD therapeutics market.
– Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the US and five major EU DMD therapeutics market.
– Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
– Assess the clinical and commercial viability of promising pipeline products.
– Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies.
– Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various emerging therapies.
– Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that p
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 8
1.1 List of Tables 12
1.2 List of Figures 15
2 Introduction 16
2.1 Catalyst 16
2.2 Related Reports 17
3 Disease Overview 18
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 18
3.1.1 Etiology 18
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 19
3.2 Prognosis and Symptoms 20
3.3 Diagnosis 21
4 Epidemiology 23
4.1 Disease Background 23
4.2 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 24
4.3 Global Trends 25
4.4 Forecast Methodology 27
4.4.1 Sources Used 33
4.4.2 Sources Not Used 34
4.4.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 35
4.5 Epidemiological Forecast for DMD (2013-2023) 40
4.5.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD (All Ages) 40
4.5.2 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD (Ages 5-13 Years) 42
4.5.3 Age-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD (All Ages) 44
4.5.4 Age-Standardized Diagnosed Prevalence of DMD 45
4.6 Epidemiological Forecast for Nonsense Mutations in DMD (2013-2023) 46
4.7 Epidemiological Forecast for the Applicability of Exon-Skipping Therapies in DMD (2013-2023) 48
4.7.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD Eligible for an Exon 51 Skipping Therapy (All Ages) 48
4.7.2 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD Eligible for an Exon 45 Skipping Therapy (All Ages) 49
4.7.3 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD Eligible for an Exon 53 Skipping Therapy (All Ages) 51
4.7.4 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of DMD Eligible for an Exon 44 Skipping Therapy (All Ages) 52
4.8 Epidemiological Forecast for BMD (2013-2023) 54
4.8.1 Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BMD (All Ages) 54
4.8.2 Age-Specific Diagnosed Prevalent Cases of BMD (All Ages) 55
4.8.3 Age-Standardized Diagnosed Prevalence of BMD 57
4.9 Discussion 58
4.9.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 58
4.9.2 Limitations of the Analysis 59
4.9.3 Strengths of the Analysis 60
5 Current Treatment Options 61
5.1 Overview 61
5.1.1 Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy 61
5.1.2 Becker Muscular Dystrophy 62
5.2 Product Profiles – Major Brands 63
5.2.1 Corticosteroids (Prednisone and Deflazacort – Numerous Generic and Brand Names) 63
5.2.2 Translarna (ataluren) 66
6 Unmet Needs Assessment and Oppportunity Analysis 72
6.1 Overview 72
6.2 Need for Disease-Modifying Therapies 73
6.2.1 Unmet Need 73
6.2.2 Gap Analysis 74
6.2.3 Opportunity 74
6.3 Delayed Diagnosis 75
6.3.1 Unmet Need 75
6.3.2 Gap Analysis 76
6.3.3 Opportunity 76
6.4 High Variation in Design of DMD Clinical Trials 77
6.4.1 Unmet Need 77
6.4.2 Gap Analysis 78
6.4.3 Opportunity 78
6.5 Need for Regulatory Pathway for Approval of Follow-On Exon-Skipping Molecules 79
6.5.1 Unmet Need 79
6.5.2 Gap Analysis 79
6.5.3 Opportunity 80
7 R&D Strategies 81
7.1 Overview 81
7.1.1 Follow-On and Multi Exon-Skipping Molecules 81
7.1.2 Forming Alliances with Patient Advocacy Groups 82
7.1.3 Partnering with Pharmaceutical Companies to Increase Marketing Resources 83
7.2 Current Clinical Trial Design 84
7.2.1 Current Methods for Assessing Clinical Efficacy and Their Limitations 85
7.2.2 Current Trial Design of Key Pipeline Products 87
7.2.3 Patient Exclusion Issues in Current Trial Designs 88
7.3 Future Clinical Trial Design 89
7.3.1 Dystrophin-Positive Biomarkers as Surrogate Clinical Endpoints 89
7.3.2 Need for Measuring Clinical Outcome and Endpoints Based on Disease Onset 90
7.3.3 Maximizing Inclusion of Patient Populations in Studies 91
8 Pipeline Assessment 92
8.1 Overview 92
8.2 Promising Drugs in Clinical Development 93
8.2.1 Drisapersen 94
8.2.2 Eteplirsen 97
8.2.3 Catena/Raxone (idebenone) 101
8.2.4 Tadalafil 105
8.3 Innovative Early-Stage Approaches 108
8.3.1 Follow-On Exon-Skipping Therapies 110
8.3.2 Utrophin Activation 111
8.3.3 Myostatin Inhibition 112
8.3.4 Gene Therapy 112
8.3.5 Targeting Cellular Pathways and Other Early-Stage Approaches 113
9 Pipeline Valuation Analysis 115
9.1 Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 115
9.2 Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 117
9.3 Competitive Assessment 119
9.4 Top-Line Five-Year Forecast 122
9.4.1 US 126
9.4.2 5EU 127
10 Appendix 128
10.1 Bibliography 128
10.2 Abbreviations 137
10.3 Methodology 140
10.4 Forecasting Methodology 141
10.4.1 Diagnosed DMD Patients 141
10.4.2 Percent Drug-Treated Patients 142
10.4.3 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class 142
10.4.4 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates 143
10.4.5 General Pricing Assumptions 143
10.4.6 Individual Drug Assumptions 144
10.4.7 Generic Erosion 148
10.4.8 Pricing of Pipeline Agents 148
■ 英文：OpportunityAnalyzer: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Opportunity and Market Analysis to 2019
|デュシェンヌ型筋ジストロフィー治療薬の世界市場機会分析 (OpportunityAnalyzer: Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - Opportunity and Market Analysis to 2019 / GDHC038POA)|
- モバイル決済の世界市場2015-2019About mobile payment Mobile payment is a form of payment where an end-user can initiate a transaction using a mobile device for goods and services through communication networks or technologies. Mobile payment allows consumers to use a mobile device to pay for goods and services instead of using cash, check, and credit/debit cards. It is also referred to as mobile money, mobile money transfer, and …
- ヨーロッパのココナッツジュース市場2016-2020About Coconut Water Market in Europe Coconut water is the clear liquid extracted from unripe (green) coconuts. It is technically a fruit juice and is most popular in tropical countries. In many countries such as India, Sri Lanka, and Thailand, the juice is commonly sold fresh by street vendors. A tender coconut is one which is 6-8 months old. Packaged coconut water is prepared by extracting liquid …
- 鉱山用化学品の世界市場：粉砕助剤、硫化物コレクター、凝集剤、泡立て剤、溶媒抽出剤About Mining ChemicalsMining chemicals are functionally specialized chemicals that enhance the productivity and efficacy of mining processes. These chemicals are primarily used in blasting and drilling, mineral processing, and water and waste treatment. They are commonly used in the extraction of metals and minerals like copper, gold, molybdenum, nickel, iron, cobalt, alumina, and other industrial …
- Formamideの世界市場Formamide (CAS 75-12-7) Market Research Report 2012 presents comprehensive data on formamide markets globally and regionally (Europe, Asia, North America etc.) The report includes formamide description, covers its application areas and related patterns. It overviews formamide market, names formamide producers and indicates its suppliers. Besides, the report provides formamide prices in regional ma …
- グローバル風力発電市場動向2014Wind Power, Update 2014 - Global Market Size, Average Price, Competitive Landscape, and Key Country Analysis to 2020 Summary “Wind Power, Update 2014 - Global Market Size, Average Price, Competitive Landscape, and Key Country Analysis to 2020”, the latest report from industry analysis specialist GlobalData, offers comprehensive information and analysis of the global wind power market. The report p …
- 頸動脈ステントの世界市場2015-2019About Carotid Stent Carotid artery disease refers to the blockage or narrowing of carotid arteries due to plaque formation (Fibrous tissue, cholesterol, and calcium deposits. The carotid arteries are present in the neck and supply blood to the brain. Carotid artery stenting is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to treat carotid artery disease. The technique involves the insertion of a sl …
- Rex Energy Corporation：石油・ガスの開発・生産動向及びコスト分析- Q2, 2013Rex Energy Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q2, 2013 Summary Rex Energy Corporation Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis is the latest report from GlobalData, the industry analysis specialists, that offers comprehensive information on the operational and financial performance of the company. The report is an essential sour …
- 大腸癌治療薬の世界市場：治療、研究開発、市場予測Colorectal Cancer Drugs – Your New Guide to that Market, its R&D and Sales Potentials Do you want to assess the future of colorectal cancer medicines? Visiongain’s new report gives you revenue predictions for that industry from 2015, helping you stay ahead in knowledge and benefit your influence. Our study shows you results, R&D trends, opportunities, interviews and revenue forecasts. In that anal …
- ポリビニルアルコール(PVA)の世界市場動向及び予測2015The present report is an essential resource for a one looking for detailed information on the world polyvinyl alcohol market. The report covers data on global, regional and national markets including present and future trends for supply and demand, prices, and downstream industries. In addition to the analytical part, the report provides a range of tables and figures which all together give a true …
- IoTセキュリティ及びプライバシーの世界市場：課題、市場機会及び予測The Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to become as silent, hidden, omnipresent, and essential as the air to modern society. Like the air, IoT also has virtually limitless access points and vulnerabilities. While initially hackers have been largely a nuisance, Mind Commerce anticipates that their intrusions will become increasingly impactful leading to the potential for operational disrupt …
- セルラーM2M付加サービス（VAS）の世界市場About Cellular M2M Value-Added Services (VAS)Cellular M2M VAS is defined as the cellular value-added connectivity process within distinct SIM-enabled machines to offer connectivity over multiple wireless networks such as 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE, or WiFi and WiMAX. Technavio’s analysts forecast the global cellular M2M value-added services (VAS) market to grow at a CAGR of 40.64% during the period 2017-2 …
- 重症筋無力症(Myasthenia Gravis)の治療薬パイプライン動向（2015年上半期版）Myasthenia Gravis - Pipeline Review, H1 2015 Summary Global Markets Direct’s, ‘Myasthenia Gravis - Pipeline Review, H1 2015’, provides an overview of the Myasthenia Gravis’s therapeutic pipeline. This report provides comprehensive information on the therapeutic development for Myasthenia Gravis, complete with comparative analysis at various stages, therapeutics assessment by drug target, mechanism …
- 動物医療の世界市場2015This new 42-page report from VPGMarketResearch.com analyzes global trends and strategies of the world’s leading animal health companies, including:Five-year forecasts for: - Major market segments - Key geographic regionsAssessment of major U.S. and international trends with potentially significant impact on the animal health industry during the next five years, including discussion …
- 2014年戦略提言：日本の治療薬物モニタリング(TDM)市場This new 247-page report from Venture Planning Group provides a comprehensive analysis of the Japanese therapeutic drug monitoring market, including emerging tests, technologies, instrumentation, sales forecasts, market shares, and strategic profiles of leading suppliers. The report provides test volume and sales forecasts by country and market segment for the following assays: Amikacin, Car …
- 検査機械の世界市場：漏れ検出器、ビジョンマシン、X線検査装置、重量選別機、金属探知機The global inspection machines market is estimated to reach USD 396.4 Million by 2021, at a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period. The market is primarily driven by the growing number of product recalls, increased adoption of automation in inspection, and the increase in the number of regulatory mandates to comply with current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMPs). However, the sales of used and …