OpportunityAnalyzer: Gout – Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2018
GlobalData estimates the 2013 sales for gout at approximately $989m across the 6MM covered in this report. The acute gout segment of the market will double in size over the forecast period, reaching $337m in 2018 at a CAGR of 15%. The chronic gout market, which encompasses urate-lowering and prophylactic anti-inflammatory therapies, will experience even faster growth at a CAGR of 18.8%, and it will more than double in size, reaching over 1.9 billion in 2018. With the current standard of care for gout already encompassing very successful and cheap treatments, the bar for success in the gout market is quite high. As a result, companies are shifting the focus of their research toward more severe gout cases, trying to address the greatest unmet needs. One of the major drivers of the gout market is the growing number of patients suffering from difficult-to-treat gout, for whom the standard therapies are inappropriate due to the presence of comorbidities, unresponsiveness, or intolerance. Targeting this patient niche is the strongest trend in the research and development (R&D) strategies of the gout players.
Key Questions Answered
– Although the standard treatments are cheap and effective in most gout patients, there are a growing number of patients for whom the standard therapies are inappropriate. Gout market is still marked by the presence of a number of unmet needs in current treatments. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfil the unmet needs of the gout market?
– The late-stage gout pipeline is sparsely populated; however these drugs in development will be a strong driver of the gout market growth. Which of these drugs will attain high sales revenues during 2013-2018? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
– The more aggressive approach to urate-lowering treatment will increase the patient pool treated with urate-lowering agents and prophylactic anti-inflammatory therapies. How will these changes impact the growth of the future market?
– One of the main drivers of the enormous expansion of the gout market will be the introduction of the novel urate-lowering agents, lesinurad and ulodesine, which will be used as add-on therapies to the current standard of care and target the treatment-failure gout population.
– Another strong driver will be the more aggressive approach to urate-lowering treatment, as recommended by the latest treatment guidelines, which will increase the patient pool treated with urate-lowering agents and prophylactic anti-inflammatory therapy.
– Companies are shifting the focus of their research toward more severe gout cases, trying to address the greatest unmet needs.
– Reasons for inadequate gout treatment include a poor patient understanding of their disease and physician failure to develop targeted treatment plans.
– Overview of gout, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
– Annualized gout therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2013 and forecast for five years to 2018.
– Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the gout therapeutics market.
– Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
– Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global gout therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
– Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
– Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the gout therapeutics market.
– Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the gout therapeutics market in future.
– Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
– Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 9
1.1 List of Tables 13
1.2 List of Figures 15
2 Introduction 16
2.1 Catalyst 16
2.2 Related Reports 17
2.3 Upcoming Related Reports 17
3 Disease Overview 18
3.1 Etiology and Pathophysiology 19
3.1.1 Etiology 19
3.1.2 Pathophysiology 21
3.2 Symptoms 22
3.3 Risk Factors 23
3.4 Prognosis 23
3.5 Quality of Life 24
4 Epidemiology 25
4.1 Risk Factors and Comorbidities 25
4.2 Global Trends 27
4.2.1 US 29
4.2.2 5EU 29
4.3 Forecast Methodology 30
4.3.1 Sources Used 34
4.3.2 Sources Not Used 38
4.3.3 Forecast Assumptions and Methods 40
4.4 Epidemiological Forecast for Gout (2013-2023) 47
4.4.1 Diagnosed Incidence 47
4.4.2 Diagnosed Prevalence 53
4.5 Discussion 61
4.5.1 Epidemiological Forecast Insight 61
4.5.2 Limitations of the Analysis 62
4.5.3 Strengths of the Analysis 63
5 Current Treatment Options 64
5.1 Overview 64
5.2 Product Profiles 67
5.2.1 Anti-Inflammatory Therapies 67
5.2.2 Urate-Lowering Therapies 86
6 Unmet Needs Assessment and Oppportunity Analysis 103
6.1 Overview 103
6.2 Physician and Patient Awareness of Gout 104
6.2.1 Unmet Needs 104
6.2.2 Gap Analysis 105
6.2.3 Opportunity 106
6.3 Noncompliance to Gout Therapies 106
6.3.1 Unmet Needs 106
6.3.2 Gap Analysis 107
6.3.3 Opportunity 107
6.4 Earlier and More Accurate Diagnosis of Gout 107
6.4.1 Unmet Needs 107
6.4.2 Gap Analysis and Opportunity 108
6.4.3 Opportunity 109
6.5 Efficacious and Safe Treatment of Difficult-to-Treat Gout 109
6.5.1 Unmet Needs 109
6.5.2 Gap Analysis and Opportunity 109
6.5.3 Opportunity 110
7 Research and Development Strategies 111
7.1 Overview 111
7.1.1 Targeting Patients with Refractory Gout – Novel Uricosuric Drugs as Add-On Therapy 111
7.1.2 Targeting Patients with Refractory Gout – PEGylation of Uricase 112
7.1.3 Small Molecules as Inhibitors of the Interleukin-1 Beta Pathway 113
7.1.4 Acquisitions and Licensing 113
7.2 Clinical Trial Design 115
7.2.1 Current Clinical Trial Design 115
7.2.2 Future Clinical Trial Designs 120
8 Pipeline Assessment 122
8.1 Overview 122
8.2 Promising Drugs in Clinical Development 124
8.2.1 Lesinurad (RDEA-594) 125
8.2.2 Ulodesine (BCX4208) 130
8.3 Innovative Early-Stage Approaches 134
9 Pipeline Valuation Analysis 138
9.1 Clinical Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 138
9.2 Commercial Benchmark of Key Pipeline Drugs 140
9.3 Competitive Assessment 141
9.4 Top-Line Five-Year Forecast 144
9.4.1 US 147
9.4.2 5EU 148
10 Appendix 150
10.1 Bibliography 150
10.2 Abbreviations 164
10.3 Methodology 168
10.4 Forecasting Methodology 168
10.4.1 Diagnosed Gout Patients 168
10.4.2 Percent Drug-Treated Patients 169
10.4.3 Drugs Included in Each Therapeutic Class 169
10.4.4 Launch and Patent Expiry Dates 169
10.4.5 General Pricing Assumptions 170
10.4.6 Individual Drug Assumptions 171
10.4.7 Pricing of Pipeline Agents 175
10.5 Physicians and Specialists Included in this Study 176
10.6 About the Authors 178
10.6.1 Analyst 178
10.6.2 Therapy Director – CVMD and Infectious Disease 178
10.6.3 Epidemiologist 179
10.6.4 Global Head of Healthcare 179
10.7 About GlobalData 180
10.8 Disclaimer 180
■ 英文：OpportunityAnalyzer: Gout - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2018
|痛風（Gout）治療市場：市場機会分析と予測（～2018） (OpportunityAnalyzer: Gout - Opportunity Analysis and Forecast to 2018 / GDHC020POA)|
- 可視化および3Dレンダリング用ソフトウェアの世界市場予測（～2020）The visualization and 3D rendering software market size is expected to grow from USD 431.1 Million in 2015 to USD 1,602.3 Million by 2020, at an estimated CAGR of 30.03% during the forecast period. Major growth drivers of the market are just-in-time marketing opportunities, less time and low costs involved, and the advent of 3D-enabled display devices. These factors are expected to shape the futur …
- 大うつ病性障害：グローバル治療薬予測と市場分析PharmaPoint: Major Depressive Disorder - Global Drug Forecast and Market Analysis to 2023 Summary Major depressive disorder (MDD) is one of the most common psychiatric diseases worldwide. The MDD market is a crowded and competitive market, with more than 30 marketed products available for the treatment of patients with MDD. The depression market is about to enter a dynamic phase with imminent pate …
- オンライン言語学習の米国市場2017-2021About Online Language Learning The education market in the US has seen the emergence of new pedagogical techniques. Changes in the education policy along with the implementation of Common Core State Standards have necessitated educators in the US to enroll in professional development courses to acquire information and communication technology (ICT) and language skills along with techniques to succ …
- 人型ロボットの世界市場予測（～2023年）The humanoid robot market is expected to be valued at USD 320.3 Million in 2017 and is estimated to reach USD 3,962.5 Million by 2023, at a CAGR of 52.1% between 2017 and 2023. The humanoid robot market is mainly driven by factors such as the introduction of advanced features in humanoid robots, the increasing use of humanoids as educational robots, and growing demand from the retail industry for …
- 世界のベーカリー及びシリアル市場のニュース及びイベント動向（2014年7月）Synopsis The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global bakery & cereals market during July 2014. Summary Using this report, marketers will effectively gain an insight into the latest happenings in the global bakery & cereals market throughout the month. The monthly report provides the reader with the top-line data necessary to quickly keep abreast of latest events in …
- 世界の無人航空機(UAV)ペイロード市場動向（2012-2016）TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Payload market to grow at a CAGR of 4.85 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the increase in unmanned aerial vehicle launches. The Global Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Payload market has also been witnessing an increase in R&D. However, the rapid technological changes could pose a …
- 世界における車両用ベアリング市場動向：Global Automotive Bearing Market 2014-2018TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Automotive Bearing market to grow at a CAGR of 7.42 percent over the period 2014-2018. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the growing Global Motorcycle market. The Global Automotive Bearing market has also been witnessing the increasing development of integrated bearings. However, the ongoing financial crisis in Europe could pose a …
- Royal Dutch Shell plc社の石油・ガス開発・生産動向及びコスト分析（2013年第4四半期）Royal Dutch Shell plc Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis - Q4, 2013 Summary Royal Dutch Shell plc Oil & Gas Exploration and Production Operations and Cost Analysis is the latest report from GlobalData, the industry analysis specialists, that offers comprehensive information on the operational and financial performance of the company. The report is an essential source …
- 窒素肥料の世界市場：尿素肥料、硝酸アンモニウム肥料About Nitrogenous Fertilizer Nitrogen is a vital component of plant proteins. While it is present abundantly in the Earth's atmosphere, several plants are incapable of converting them into a form they can use. Hence, nitrogenous fertilizers are used to provide nutrition and enhance growth, color, and texture of crops. The nitrogen in the fertilizers stimulates chloroplasts in plants and enhances t …
- 食品保存料の世界市場：種類（天然＆化学）、機能（抗菌、抗酸化）、用途（油脂、パン屋、乳製品＆冷凍食品、スナック、肉、鳥肉＆魚介類、菓子、飲料）The global food preservatives market has grown steadily in the last few years. The market size is projected to reach USD 2.94 Billion by 2021, at a CAGR of around 2.5% from 2016 to 2021. The growing demand for convenience food products is the major driving factor of this market. The food preservatives market based on function has been segmented into antimicrobials and antioxidants. Antimicrobials …
- グローバル車載インフォテインメント市場：企業とソリューション2014In-Vehicle infotainment is one of the fastest growing technologies in the industry. It combines entertainment, navigation and telecommunications system into one easy-to-use interface. The term Infotainment refers to information-based media content or programming that also includes entertainment content in an effort to enhance popularity with audiences and consumers. In-Vehicle infotainment include …
- ドローン対策の世界市場分析：対策方法別（破壊式、非破壊式）、防衛タイプ別（検知･破壊、検知のみ）、エンドユーザー別（軍用･防衛、商用、自治体）、地域別、セグメント予測 2014 – 2024The global anti-drone market size is anticipated to reach USD 1.85 billion by 2024, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The increase in the adoption of UAVs/drones has resulted in the commencement of another market that focuses on a solution for rogue drones, complete with net-firing bazookas, electromagnetic shields, and anti-drone death rays. The steep rise in the adoption of …
- 二つ折り扉の世界市場About Bifold DoorsA bifold door is a type of closet door having two or more individual door panels, conjoined with hinges, which operate on a sliding track. However, bifold doors do not include overlapping sliding doors. Technavio’s analysts forecast the global bifold doors market to grow at a CAGR of 4.68% during the period 2017-2021. [Covered in this report] The report covers the present scenari …
- 医療レポート：Asthma-疫学予測（～2022）EpiCast Report: Asthma - Epidemiology Forecast to 2022 Summary Asthma is one of the most common chronic diseases in the world, with an estimated 300 million people suffering from the disease in 2004 (Masoli et al., 2004). The 2004 Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) report estimated that prevalence of asthma in the general population varied widely in different countries around the world, with prop …
- 世界のデーターセンター建設市場動向（2012-2016）TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Data Center Construction market to grow at a CAGR of 15.78 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the growing demand for colocation services. The Global Data Center Construction market has also been witnessing the use of alternative energy sources. However, the unstable economic conditions could pose …